The main difference between freespeech and Skype is that Skype uses a non-standard method for it's communications, freespeech uses SIP which is the worlds most popular standard for VOIP (Voice Over IP).
There some advantages and disadvantages when comparing Skype to freespeech.
1. Skype is better at getting across firewalls and NAT's
2. Skype users can only call other Skype users for free - Freespeech users can call any other SIP provider for free (if the other provider permits it).
3. If you buy hardware with freespeech it can be re-used with any other broadband phone company using SIP.
4. Freespeech has more competitive call rates when dialling out to PSTN.
5. Freespeech is more suitable as a home phone replacement/supplement.
6. The voice quality with freespeech is typically better (this is dependant on codec and conditions).
7. A FREE freespeech account can be reached from traditional phone lines.